Monday, February 8, 2010

Friendship...

Since my What I Have Now post, I've realized not only how good I really have it, but that I have little to complain about. It's amazing how just acknowledging your current situation can make everything that much better. I also came across two or three powerful stories of others, that have not only inspired me, but reminded me to be oh so thankful for my life, my family, my loves and my friends.

I've been thinking a lot about friendships lately. Watching the way friends treat one another. Seeing friendships of mine that are close and honest right along side those that I 'give' more to than take from.

We all have friends that we're willing to give endlessly to. Advice, money, time, admiration. Whatever it takes, we're there for our friends and it's fulfilling as opposed to draining. There is no order too big, no situation too scary or dire that we won't jump in to help.

I also have friendships (and I know I'm not alone) that we give to. We want to be given back to, but it just doesn't happen. I know that these friendships are not only a drain on me emotionally, but physically and mentally, too. These friends are often the most insecure, the least willing to do for me as I do for them. And yet, I keep them around. History or some other reasons keep me coming back for more, only to be disappointed time and time again.

Often, I ask myself how can I give more to my friends? How can I be supportive, encouraging and helpful. I need to start watching myself, however. There are just some people that will take and take and take. They know that I'm an endless source of whatever they need and I can't continue to allow myself to be 'used'.

This is all one long ramble. But an issue I'm working through.

We're moved in. Thank goodness. The unpacking is happening slowly but surely. I'm aiming for one box at a time. And we have a lot of boxes. Now we'll just see if we're unpacked by J's 2nd birthday party in June ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment